Thursday, August 21, 2008

Hopeless romantic from the very beginning

Movies were a very big thing to me when I grew up. They were a great way to get away from whatever was going on in real life, and live through somebody else for awhile. My brother and I have seen so many movies, that there are times when one of us will quote a movie line just in regular conversation, only to have the other name the movie it came from. Kind of geeky, but to be honest, we were both pretty much geeks throughout high school, so it's fitting.

I had some favorites of course; Caddyshack, Blues Brothers and Fletch would be right up there at the top of my list. But the ones that really got me were the silly, romantic comedies. You know, the ones where the geeky guy somehow found a beautiful girl who saw past all of his quirkiness and fell hopelessly in love with him. There were others that had the guy realize that what he was really looking for was right in front of him. I guess some examples would be Better Off Dead, Say Anything, Can't Buy Me Love, The Sure Thing, Breakfast Club, Secret Admirer and later would be The Princess Bride or When Harry Met Sally.

I could relate all too well to the guy that just didn't quite fit in. Never really thinking that my life could have the sort of storybook ending I had been hoping for each time I watched one of those movies. There were a lot of ups and downs. Relationships that may have seemed right for awhile, but just not having that real feeling that this was the person that I was supposed to be with. I realize now that I turned out to be the guy that got himself the perfect girl in the end of the movie. Angie is the girl in each of those movies that I dreamed about. Beautiful. Smart. Athletic. Beautiful. And best of all, she loves me. Even with all my little quirks (and some big ones) she has been there with a smile on her face. I don't really deserve the storybook ending with the amazing woman turning out to be my wife, but I got it.

So I guess I'm no longer the hopeless romantic. I don't even watch those types of movies anymore, because I don't need to live through them. All I need to do is wake up early and look right next to me and realize that true love is not only possible, but that it found me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have always deserved the best. I am so glad you finally realized it...and GOT it.